Ensuring minimal environmental impact through sustainable business practice has long been a focus and is monitored at every level across the entire McCallums Group; our primary goal is to become the industry leader in sustainability.
We will do so by adhering to the following principles:
- Minimise wastage by rethinking all our business practices, reusing products, repairing and recycling materials and equipment
- A commitment to continued improvement through research of new practices and feedback on current policy
- Communication, education and training of full and part-time employees, promoting a wider understanding of the environment and implementation of the most efficient practices.
To meet our commitments we will:
- Purchase environmentally friendly products, from like-minded local suppliers (where possible)
- Make training and educational materials available to all employees
- Create a framework for setting and then reviewing environmental targets
- In consultation with EECA (Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority) ensure environmental sustainability and energy efficiency are front of mind for all future modifications and upgrades to our plant and equipment
- Our recent factory re-fit has changed our primary fuel from fossil to Bio Mass (Woodchips) significantly reducing our impact on the environment – see case study pdf.
- Constantly assess our energy needs and look at measures to conserve energy
- Continue to use products that allow for a lower water temperature than traditional chemicals, this dramatically reduces our energy requirements. Our site is currently operating on only 7 litres of water per kg of product produced
- Use of our wastewater to reduce our emissions and heat discharge from our chimney
- Continue to have our ph. levels and discharge water temperatures well under council and environmental guidelines